Tuesday, 26 February 2008

Oh the laughs i have sometimes...

Hello hello everyone! How are you all doing today? I'm doing quite well...I'm glad its the end of the day here on my side. My day was quite long and I think I was ready for bed around 1:00pm... so i'm surprised i made it up this late! But I had to chat with a few people, and i wanted to write a little blog...Just cause. Well what do you all think of my horse in this picture? Isnt he a beaut? His name is Tommy and he's such a great horse. He loves to snuggle and get a good face rub...as you can see we both were loving it at that moment in time.
Well I decided to write this blog about the differences about Canada and England. See we speak the same language but there are OH SO MANY differences in the languages as well....and sometimes its important to know them...so you dont make a fool out of yourself like I have since i've arrived.
ONE: There is a HUGE difference between Pants like the pair of pants you are wearing and Pants here in England. Pants are Undies, Tighty whities...briefs...the secret things you wear UNDER your clothes...Here they call them trousers. I made the mistake today about saying Oh man my Pants are SO dirty! *Luckily i wasnt out in public, or talking to the queen...because dang...that would have been imbarrising. I was quickly corrected and i have to remember TROUSERS are what you want to be talking about...pants are more secretive.

TWO: The other day I was standing in the 'que' at the supermarket talking with Carolin the German Aupair i work with...and we were kinda snickering about a cute boy or something...somthing girlie like that...and I looked up...and saw this sign. It said FACIAL TISSUES. Now me being a Canadian...i was like "what the heck are facial tissues!"? (Yes Aunt Marion I said what the heck...but it totally fit in that moment) So i kinda had a little mini freak out. The first thing that came to mind was thinking literally...Facial-meaning face...and tissue- like what your face is made of...and i was wondering how they could sell that...SO of COURSE I had Hamish with me, and i marched over (past the cute boy in the cereal section) to take this picture of facial tissues...which i discovered are Kleenex. Tissues. Snot rags. It was great! An employee even stopped and asked me what i was doing, she was curious she said as to what I was so enthrawled about with facial tissues. It was really really funny. Carolin and I had a good laugh about it...Oh being foreign.
Three: Its good to know how to ask to use a Bathroom...See over in Canada i've realized people are embarrased to use the word 'toilet'. Toilets are just the sick pottery basins which people use EVERY DAY OF THEIR LIVES (or i hope they do) but for some reason no one ever likes to talk about them...But if you say Bathroom here people think: Bath tub, wash basin...that sort of thing. If you ask where the washroom is in a public place all you get are blank stares...yeah somthing else embarrasing that happened to me as well. It just feels awkward asking where the toilet is..its soo simple but man, not so fun to use that porcelain bowl word.
Four: Did you know that 'Ta' means thank you?
Five: Look RIGHT then LEFT here...if you do it the other way around...you're pretty much a person-patty.
Six: if you try to sit on the right side of the front of the car...you are the driver...it kinda crimps the car owners style when you're blocking their door when they're trying to get into the car...LEFT side is the way to ride here...
Ah its fun trying to learn the quirks and wrinkles which make each culture and language different. Its fun, and sometimes you just want to crawl into the closet under the stairs because you're face is too red...BUT its all good for a good laugh. Just wipe the embarrasment away and just remember you're a foreigner so its all good!
Now its about mid night here...and you all are just setteling down for the evening...(being 4 hours behind and all) I hope you all have a good day, and use these tips when you come over to the UK. And people really seem to like it when you say 'my mum is the bomb'...they just laugh and cant believe that people actually say it.
Love you all!! jer and sar i'm going to connect with you one day or another!!
-alli

8 comments:

  1. Allison, eyeing cute European lads? Excellent post my friend, it gave me many laughs, I like your term for Kleenex, "snot rags", it's so true, they are for the icky in your nose, yet they are called "Kleenex" here, what's with that. Sounds like England is way ahead of us (or behind us) with their terms. Keep posting, it makes me smile, now because I'm actually talking to you while I write this, I'm going to have to go...to talk to you.. hm, goodbye while I switch the screens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear you still have fun making a fool out of yourself. Glad to hear from you tonight! And here you die from laughing (well alomst...all that choking).

    Sometimes things just come out the wrong way!

    -Briggs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Alli, you are so funny! You take embarrassment well. :) I love your stories so much, so please keep writing them. They make it seem like we are experiencing the adventure with you.

    I do think your horse is a beaut. You look very comfortable with him. Keep the pictures coming please!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi All, love reading your stories, they are terrific. I can picture your life in England so clearly and it makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. it is also funny when people say "im in the toilet" and a mind-picture of someone swimming around in the toilet baison pops up in my head...... it makes me laugh.

    cant wiat to hear from you. Can you send your number over. Im so lonely where i am and would love soeone to talk to!!

    becks xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol, wow alli, looks like u fit in even less there than u did here haha. love u tho.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work, Alli. It takes a certain gift to be able to transfer joy, excitement, experience and life into words that can touch others. God has blessed you with such ability. Keep writing. We are enthralled and entertained. Many Blessings.
    Glenn

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey alli, just wanted to say I've really enjoyed reading your stories of your big grand adventure.

    ta ta for the writing.

    ryguy

    ReplyDelete