Sunday, 17 February 2008

frosty mornings

Well good afternoon to all of you! How are you on this fine February day? I'm doing quite well!! I have tons of layers on though because winter has decided NOT to stay in Canada...but has followed me all the way over here to England...and it hasn't been warmly welcomed. The girls i work with (Fay and Carolin) have decided i have to go back home because its too cold here, and i brought it with me. I told them tough luck...I live in an igloo so they just have to stick it up.
Well, guess what I did...the rebel that I am...I went to a PUB on friday night! No i didnt have any wine or beer or anything like that (mum I had water) because i'm not legal yet...but it was sweet...I went to a Bar!! The place is a little pub in Rogate called the 'White Horse'. It is a cute little british place, old and has LOTS of character. I ordered the soup of the day and some fresh rolls, (SOOO GOOD) And I was quite satisfied with my first purchase in England!! The place was really cozy and we had a fresh beautiful rose on our table....i wanted to take it home, but Carolin didnt think that was a great idea...stealing from a bar...There were no cute boys dont worry mum, i didnt talk to anyone!! (no ps. I love you for me) It was a good time! I really enjoyed myself.
Saturday morning, i was allowed to have a 'lay in' aka Sleep in!! I was so happy, I was supposed to be going into Petersfield with Carolin, But the Chinns decided to go to the zoo for the day, so i didnt really have to do anything at all around the house. SO i explored. First I helped Fay out in the barns for a bit...the freedom took over me!!!
I am sorry there arent any pictures up yet...But while i was exploring I tried to climb a few beautiful trees...the tries were unsuccessful... Then i went and was looking around taking some pictures first i was following some pheasants around...they weren't too pleased with me...then i was taking a few photos of flowers and WAMMO Heart attack for alli. I guess my photo-taking skills didnt really make the pheasants too happy because all of a sudden there was this screetching and wings and fluttering, and birds flying at me...lets just say...i almost wet myself. They flew away up into a tree and were screetching at me for the rest of the morning...I almost died. It was so terrifying . Ok maybe that was a bit of an exaggeration...but seriously, you try being yelled at by an angry male pheasant. Not so pleasant.
After that lovely experience i kept walking around the garden...and i saw these old rock stone steps. I discovered a secret garden! it was hidden behind and below the rock wall around the house! It is beautiful! the steps lead to you a beautiful bright path, with knarly trees and sweet roots...its soo nice. I took a few photos so when i put up pictures i'll show you. (I was told after the garden isn't so secret...but we'll just keep that on the hush hush...its more fun having a secret garden)
When i woke up this morning there was frost on the ground again and i didnt really want to get out of bed. Our home doesnt really have a lot of heating. But the children were screetching and laughing and luckily my bedroom is RIGHT next door to them...oh how lucky i am! So i had to go take care of them so they wouldnt wake up the rest of the household...or Rogate for that matter...I read them a bit of 'I love you forever' the beautiful traditional family story...and it calmed them down for a little while. Olivia particularily loves to help me sing the tune which goes along with the story. Christopher just likes the trucks...but thats ok too.
This morning was my first Sunday morning Church service in England. Juan the father decided to take me to church this morning, so i quickly got dressed and jumped into his *all terrain jeep thing. (remember the *) So, driving on the wrong side of the road still kinda gets me, but i'm trying to cope... The church is beautiful its an old (OLD) English catholic church its right beside a river and lush fields and trees...its beautiful. We pulled up and went in. The church population is about 17. And i could have been the grand child of everyone in the church, but i liked it.
The church since its so old doesnt have any heating...so wearing layers and jackets.(parkas) in church is accpetable! My toes have just recently started warming up again. The preist for the church was awesome. He had a huge Abe Lincon beard, and a sweet deep storytelling voice. I really liked it. He had been asking us what it was like to be a 'born again Christian'; he had been somewhere once and another preist had been asked if they were a born again christian...and they responded "well i'd be dambed if i wasnt!" and i thought it was an awesome ansnwer!! I love old brilliant people. Anyway, the whole experience was nice...Juan I think enjoyed his time too, which was nice...there's more church stories but i dont want to bore you. It was fun.
ON the way home Juan decided to go back roading...* this is where the star comes back...(remember the all terrain vehicle?) Well the road was tiny as can be...and we were driving along...he was telling me more Jeremy like things...and then he stopped...and was like oh no i missed our turn...I thought he was kidding me because there was NO road anywhere that i could see...But i guess there was...A beaten down path which i thought was for riding..was a road! lets just say i couldnt believe we were driving down it. there at some points was NO centre to the road!! The jeep was bouncing around, and sometimes we were almost sitting sideways because of this nutso road! Incredible. I told him i didnt mind going down the road as long as we didnt have to get out and push the car...but seriously now. If i had my camera with me i would have taken a photo...or a video or something. its rediculous. But it was fun. Oh good times. I'll have to somehow find my way back there and take pictures. its incredible our car actually got out there without ripping the whole bottom plus juan and i out of the car.
Well...now the sun is shining a bit more, the kids are in bed...Fay is out in the barns...and Carolin has a day off so she's no longer on baby duty...I took the kids into town today to a park which was fun...so hopefully they'll be tired and sleep for a while.
I should probably stop writing...because this has turned into a novel...sooooo i'll update you again soon!! Thanks for listening to my stories!
love you all!!
-alli

4 comments:

  1. Oh Alli, i love those stories, and your mini adventures each day. I wish i could see you react to them, that would be Hilar. I love you bunches, and it still hasn't sunk in that you're gone. misses you. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. :D:D That sounds so fun.

    Are there any churches that might aim towards younger people? I'm glad you liked it today still.

    I only have one more week at Grace. it is weird.
    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And to think the adventures will only get more grand the more exploring that you do!!! Your dad prayed this morning and he asked us all to remember you! I have to say I got a wee bit choked!

    ReplyDelete
  4. alli I think that you should become a novelist because that was a pretty freaking good story. Well it sounds like you are having a good time settling in. hope that the cold leaves you soon.
    dave

    ReplyDelete