Thursday, 14 February 2008

settled in...

Well hello one and all!!! I am now unpacked welcomed and settled into a new home and a new journey for the next little while of my life.
So I left Canada on tuesday night...around midnight, with a lovely good bye crew. It was full of lots of laughs, giggles and embarrising moments. But it was good. Then I got on the plane...Auntie Anne had changed my ticket so i had a whole middle section of the plane to myself to stretch out and sleep on. It was quite nice (which i did do..yes mum I slept)
I woke up around sunrise when the breakfast was being served. It was beautiful. I wrote about it in my journal. We were still flying over the ocean, but the sky was beautiful and full of gentle pastel colours. I just wanted to eat it, or just stay there and watch the colours change for a while. But soon after we started flying over land. My first things I saw of Europe was green hills and mountains. It was beautiful!! Just like my Grammie had described to me.
Well, I landed safely and actually found where i was supposed to go without getting lost...yeah i was following the crowd But still!! I went through to customs and stuff...where the people (with beautiful british accents) say 'common through'...But i got stopped. I guess the old rule for the 'working holiday visa' is 18...but its changed now and i'm 17. So the lady stopped me...and had to go check with her boss or something in this tinted glass booth...and ask them if i was legal. well DUHH i was because i had the visa to proove it...But then after EVERYONE had left the booths and tolls...(i was the only one in the whole room) long story short...after a while of waiting I was let through. THEN i got my stuff and was heading out...and my employer lady wasnt there...So i waited for a little while...about 45 minutes and then she came. You know when you see someone and you're like THATS THEM? well i saw this lady running into the waiting area...stressed like a dog, and she was ruffled and had a hand written sign in her hands..and i was like thats her! And i was right! I knew from that moment on I was not in a day dream. I was actually in England.
well, it was a nice drive home...it felt strange being on the other side of the road...and i got a little nervous when people passed...cause when someone was driving past they were sitting RIGHT next to me! Talk about heart pressure rising! Conversation was good, and company was nice so it was a good ride.
we arrived home and it was about lunch time here...just about 8:00am your time. the kids were out in the garden (which is full of bursting flowers and happy birds chirping) with my co-childcare girl Carolin. So we all got introduced. (you'll hear more about all of them probably soon...) But man, the kids sound soooo cute when they talk. They sound too proper to be 2.6 years old!
Fay the horse girl took me around while she had to get one of the horses ready for Sarahs (mum) jumping lesson. And Carolin was getting the kids into bed for their siesta. Fay let me say is absolutely hilarious. She's 24 and is about 5'2. She's from western England...and has never been out of the country. Her accent is great, and full of little slang words and hilarious stories. Dang. She makes me laugh a lot. Well, she made me feel super welcomed. and gave me all the low-down on the family.
(the day was SO LONG but good) ZOOP through time...dinner was at 10:00pm, late but good. Sarah ordered chinese food, and we had a 4 corse dinner. It was super good. But before hand Juan the dad came home and i got to meet him. He kinda reminds me of Jer Marsh...not at ALL how he looks, but just how he is really knowledgable...and whips out absolutely useless random facts about everything. It made me happy. Well...he's really good with technology...and i had had problems with my speekers earlier...so he regretfully informed me that i BLEW my voltage thing...and that it will never work again...so he gave me these old FLIPPING HUGE speakers to use for the time being until he brings me home a new cord thing. It was really funny...we had a good laugh.
But it was good. I got to sleep in this morning...woke up...the kids were so excited to see me Olivia stood up and was jumping on the sofa...tumbled and cracked her head open....day one and super eventfull...Carolin and i treated it...but we called Juan and he took her to the doc. Woo and this was alll before noon. How lovely.
but now the kids are in bed...zipped up and locked in these little sleeping bags with arm holes...so they dont take off their dirty nappies and throw them around the room. Little monsters i tell you! But they're great.
Anyway, Carolin and i are making a special dinner tonight so i should go make my rolls (my famous mini rolls) and be productive.
I hope you all have a beautiful day...sorry that was long, but i wanted to tell you all about my first few days.
I love and miss you all!!
the scenery here is BREATH TAKING i'll put up pictures somtime soon.
-alli

5 comments:

  1. aww it sounds super.
    I did errands today and wished you could do them with me... though I bet whatever you were doing was way more fun.
    I also ate sushi with Jessica. it was sick. Usually I like it, but there were fish eggs all over some of it and i was seriously gagging when i ate those ones. haha.

    I miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the blog update....a couple of parts made me laugh out loud. Your adventure has begun and it sounds like you are going to love being there. I miss you LOTS and love you even more.
    Mum

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phew! What a first day!!! You sound happy dear girl! Love the nappy guard...I wonder if they have a contraption to keep thumbsuckers under control! Can't wait to see the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alli we are in the same country!
    I ams o glad you had a safe trip and it seems that you are fitting in great there:) I hope to travel down south ways next week and so if your up to it i would love to meet up! If not then we should defiantly arrange something soon:)
    my number is 07975553214. call anytime! I would love to share stories:)
    Take care my twin:)
    ~Becks xxoo

    ps. the triplets in greece also had those sleeping bags and they are so funny! lol

    ReplyDelete