Thursday, 7 October 2010

Chivalry is not lost

Hello my friends.
Well it is October, the time of year where red leaves begin to be as plentiful on the ground as much as they are still up in the trees. The time of year for giant pumpkins decorated on doorsteps and the colour schemes are orange, red and brown. It feels like autumn. In fact it IS autumn.

Last monday I had knee reconstruction surgery on my right knee. I am not sure if you remember this or not, or if you have been reading my blog for that long. But back in 2008 when I was living and working in England I had a run-in with one of our horses Oscar and I tore my ACL. I have been waiting for two years for this surgery and now I have had it. It is finished and now I am on the road to recovery (hopefully for the last time).

I have been forced physically to join the 'slow club' and be about as fast as a three toed sloth, which has been an adventure within its self. I have been residing on my living room sofa, and my family has been catering to my needs. I have enjoyed being 'specially treated' but I find it hard to actually have to rely on other peoples assistance to do things. As you probably would have guessed, I am a self-reliant person. I learned it at a young age, (probably in my terrible-two's) to say 'I'll do it by my self' but over this past week I have NOT been able to do it by myself. I have to in fact rely on the help of those around me to get the things I would normally get myself, and do the things I would regularly DO for myself. Sigh. Vulnerability and I are not normally friends. Here we go though, I've had to take it in stride and accept that I have to let other people do things for me (for now).

While returning to classes this week, at my slow pace I have been able to watch people more, since I've been so slow at moving. *a leaf even landed on my head today while walking-due to my sloth pace* While entering and exiting buildings I have had the privilege of having gentlemen and ladies holding doors open for me to go through. I have had people ask to assist me on stairs, push buttons on elevators and direct me while I look lost. If ever you want to be noticed...just find a pair of crutches for a day. No joke. you are treated like royalty!
Mind you there have been a few people who may need a revision of how to offer assistance to others. One man who found me wandering the halls on Monday morning told me that the hall that I had been slothing down for about five minutes was in fact closed and I had to turn back around and go another way to get to my destination. SO he lead me in the direction I needed to go, but left me at the top of a flight of stairs and sent me on my way...on crutches and a huge knee brace without even asking if I was alright on stairs. I made it, but I was rather scared of slipping and then plummeting to my death at the bottom. THEN today, while trying to reach the accessible-door-button these two men walked through a door and I started to follow them out, he looked back at me, and LET THE DOOR GO right on my bad leg!!! I just stopped and tried to brace myself for the impact. The other guy looked back just in time to see me get smoked by the door, and proceded to yell at his companion and they opened the door for me. Nevertheless it was an interesting experience.

I am healing up alright though. Every few hours I have a new 'self-status' update saying how I'm doing. For the most part I have been doing quite well. Better than I had expected. I'm on the road to recovery. It may be a long road, but nevertheless I am already on my way to healing and being able to do the fun physical activities I haven't been able to do for the past few years. Yippie Horray.

As for the time being, I am drinking lots of tea, enjoying peoples company and filling most of my free time with spanish, english and studies of 'social behaviour'.

I hope you have a good autumn day! Happy Thanksgiving.
-a

No comments:

Post a Comment