Thursday, 21 October 2010

little Finch

Buenos Dias mi amigos!
It is a cool and rather dreary day here in Hali. The autumn weather has decided to join us today. Thy sky is grey and dark, and there is a damp 'nip' in the air which makes you want to just curl up with a good book and read by a fire side. Yes I know that makes me sound like an old granny. BUT to be honest, it is what I really want to do.

I can't do any fireside reading today because I'm at Uni for the day until I have to go to work around three this afternoon. (I'm back at Pier 1 for my fifth Christmas with them-wow.)

Recently I have discovered the 'third floor comfy chairs' of our university library. Ah is it ever a good find! There are huge windows which are the 'walls' for one whole side of the building, so no matter what level you are on you can sit by the window and see everything going on out side! Now, I do know that it could be rather distracting watching the world pass by outside the windows...but it is a superb location. I am sitting on the third floor as I had stated before, and it is the highest level we can climb in this building. I am sitting just over top of the little courtyard which is central to many of our campus buildings. I am also overlooking the university sports field. As I type, there is a mini-soccer tournament going on for a local private school, which is pretty entertaining to watch as well.
Well Yesterday, while I was visiting with my Mum and sister in our kitchen, we were just sitting talking, when all of a sudden a little bird flew into our kitchen window. (Now let me tell you, that honestly there are usually three bird-hitting-window events a day at our home (seriously, no joke), normally the birds just look a bit stunned and fly off. BUT this one, hit the window so hard, we knew there would be a little bird somewhere on the ground below the window, it really hit the window hard.
Mum went outside and found the little bird in the garden below our window and picked it up and brought it indoors. I was convinced it was going to die, so I wanted to hold it until it passed. It was in shock for a while. It was trembling and breathing so deeply; poor little guy. After a little while he started seeming more alert, and his little toes were gripping on my fingers when I would move. So I took it outdoors to put it in a tree. It wasn't quite stable yet, so I held onto him for a little while longer. (Nathan was telling me I should just test its flying abilities by launching it into the air and see what happens...definitely a THUD to the ground) I refused, and set it in a hanging flower pot, since I was afraid it would fall out of the tree.

Here are a few photos of the little guy while he was recovering from such a shock, at our kitchen table. He was so cute, and tiny! As an end to the story of this little guy, he ended up flying away about two hours after the initial 'incident' and I hope is still doing alright. He was pretty sweet.

This is Em and I feeling so badly for the little creature!
I hope you have a good day! And I'll continue to write again soon.
My tea choice for the day is mint again. This morning I took a sip of the tea, but it was so hot it scalded my tongue. I actually drooled all over my English text book, because it was so hot. My poor little taste buds! But the tea has cooled off now, and is quite nice. I should start studying now....

Peace and love.
a.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Alli, I love that picture of you with the little birdie (did you name it?;)) you look so amazed and focused... I really love it.
    Hope you're well.
    I miss you. -Caro

    ReplyDelete