Let me begin by saying I cannot believe that it is September already! In my mind it still feels as if it is only half-way through the summer and I should be at camp right now, resting and preparing for another full-fledged week of camp. BUT no. It is September. All of the students are now returning to their fall-winter-spring homes here in Hali, people are returning to their studies, and students are everywhere.
Over the past few weeks I have been blessed and treated to having a good friend visit me here in Hali. Along with another special guest. If you are a 'pocketbook stories follower', one of my roommates from when I lived in England came to visit me!!! My sweet Nadine! (along with her hilarious boyfriend Tobi)
It was a treat to say the least. It's not every day someone from my life in England comes to visit me! (infact she was my first guest from afar!!) I was so excited to be able to spend time with N+T for ten days! Even the moment they arrived it just felt normal! There was nothing strange in seeing them walking around Halifax, or seeing them hang out in my home with friends and family. It was natural and soo special!
We went on many little adventures while they were here, and we all have come to have a love-hate relationship with our family van. We spent so many hours in that vehicle going from place to place. But all of the memories were awesome. One not so brilliant detour we took one day though, was completely my mistake. I missed a turn off to home (which would have gotten us home within an hour) But since I missed it, we continued to drive for another hour...realized we had no idea where we were, and I had almost taken us to the furthest point of Nova Scotia from home (Cape Bretton island...) yes, if you know NS you will laugh. But it was a nice adventure nonetheless. Nova Scotia is beautiful.
It was a strange feeling last night when I was dropping my friends off at the airport. I have made many YHZ trips over the past few months and they have all been great have felt like just a normal drop off or pick up. But last night, my friends were hopping on my normal flight to London. The midnight flight to LHR. It struck me that this is my first September not being away in England for over two years. Now to some of you that may not seem like a long time.. But in my mind, its just been normal being away this time of year..while all of my friends here at home are studying, and hiking and enjoying the autumn colours, I have been in England. And as my friends were boarding onto 'my plane' it felt strange.
Now as Nadine and Tobi are flying home, I have to think about reality now. I have thoroughly enjoyed the past two weeks of adventure, I have thoroughly enjoyed the past two months of summer...but now, I have to get into a new 'norm'. I am a student now (strange I know) and I have to get into the routine of a new sort of life... in Hali. I get to experience the cool autumn days, drink loads of tea, photograph the colours of the maples and start fresh. Something new I have never experienced before.
peace and love from a little mouse named alli.
*the name which Tobi has called me over the past few weeks.
No comments:
Post a Comment