Thursday, 13 January 2011

Yahweys little one.

Recently I have started reading a book called 'Messy Spirituality' by Michael Yaconelli. It is a really really really good book. It is controversial and encouraging. It hits the 'hard stuff' right on the nose, and I am enjoying it so much! Honestly, this guys words are just what I needed to hear these days.
He talks about how the world or even the church, so often has opinions of what 'spirituality' looks like--what being a 'spiritual person' looks like and how there are 'guidelines' (yes I know I used so many 'quotes' right there) for which Christians or Spiritual people should live within. Which is wrong, and frustrating, and so off putting for so many people out there. Whether they are 'within the church bubble' or onlookers, people passing it by, not sure if it is for them or not. Sigh. Yaconelli talks about the good stuff. He focus's in on what JESUS said, how JESUS lived and how JESUS loved. It is refreshing. Because really, we get side tracked and lost with what we think the rules should be and what makes us comfortable...and we miss out on the good stuff. The community, friendships, the truth.
In reading this book, I came across a quote by Nelson Mandela and it stuck out to me and grabbed a hold of my heart. It is something I think I have been struggling with and I thought I would share it with you; so here it is.

'Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.'

Pow. He know's where its at. (good Nova Scotian ligo there) Seriously. These guys have it right. Who am I, a creation-a masterpiece of the Most High, to hide away from conversations and opportunities to love those around me, because I feel insignificant and small...unworthy and ugly. I am stealing the beauty from Yahweh, His creation, something as delicate and intricate and incredible as the sunrise in my photographs. I realized I need to stop, get over my self and love, life and follow in the footsteps of my Jesus. To get over my fears, because the Power of God can cast away all our fears.

I think reading this book has brought a little spark of life back into my heart, which has been hiding over the past few months. I am refreshed, renewed, excited and nervous as to where this new potential movement in my life will take me.

the bold and brave...alli.

No comments:

Post a Comment