Wednesday, 9 March 2016

Indonesia

Throughout my life, I often have been asked the question “so Alli, what do you do?” Normally, I would respond by nattering off a list of things I would consider were my ‘jobs’ for that particular time. Regardless of what I do, I try to pour my heart and soul into my work, to give it meaning and of course to do a good job. Some of what I have done have not always been looked upon as a sustainable career. Ever since I was young, I have been involved with working and building relationships within communities experiencing poverty on various levels, in my own town and across the globe. It is what drives me, what gives me meaning, and moves me to get out of bed in the morning.

If I were asked what my skills were, I would say loving people; building community with others, sharing the good the bad and the ugly; learning about new places, new people, new cultures, and finding the commonalities between my life and others. I LOVE being a part of sorting through life with others as new life challenges arise. This is my passion. This is my gifting. THIS is what I do.

I have been given the opportunity to join the Navigators of Canada on a new venture this coming April. With a team of volunteers we will be working with the Telunas Geo-Resort and their surrounding communities in Batam, Indonesia.

When the Telunas resort was established in 2004, the hopes and dreams behind the development of the resort was not only to be an eco-friendly establishment, but to offer jobs to the locals and to have visitors engage in the local Melayu culture and the surrounding costal villages. Our hope as the Venture2Impact team is to support these dreams of Telunas as we work alongside one another to continue to establish a sustainable community for the Melayu locals.

I look forward to getting to know both the team that is going to work together from Canada, as well as the locals from Batam. We will be spending time immersed in local communities, visiting people, running activities for the children, as well as learning about the developmental dreams of the residents of Batam and local villages.

I am excited to do what I love to do. Integrate into community alongside new friends from all walks of life, and learn more about humility as I step into a world of unknown with my arms and heart open, ready and willing for what I will experience in only a few short weeks away!

If you would like to hear more about what we will be doing, please feel free to call me up, or shoot me a message!

If you would like to support me in my goal to raise $3500 in the next five weeks to help support the projects we will be working on in the communities once we are in Indonesia that would be absolutely amazing. 

https://www.navigators.ca/events/event_16-02-12Mission_register.php
*re Alli Davidson

Alli, so what do you do?
I get to share my heart with others in a myriad of ways, and in a few weeks, I get to go love people in the land of Indonesia. That is what I do, and I will strive to do it well. 

Sincerely,
alli


No comments:

Post a Comment