Since I announced I was heading off to Ecuador a few weeks ago, I thought I would treat your eyes with a little taste of my 'trip' down south.
I often hesitate to actually refer to it as a 'trip' to be honest with you, because I don't really feel like it is a trip at all. It is more like, a visit home, or a sweet journey...but trip is the easiest way to explain it to others.
I often hesitate to actually refer to it as a 'trip' to be honest with you, because I don't really feel like it is a trip at all. It is more like, a visit home, or a sweet journey...but trip is the easiest way to explain it to others.
Here are a few photos which I decided to pull out and show you from this journey down south. It was a short week, a quick week, a different week, but it was oh so good. Many of the people I have come to know and love in Ecuador were absent from camp this year due to jobs in the city, which was both a blessing and a heart ache for me. I missed their being at camp, however it gave me the opportunity to really get to know more of the staff and 'new' people at camp.
SO, my friends, enjoy my little snippits of what my eyes saw at camp and in the city in Ecuador.
My bed, packing for Ecuador the night before we boarded the plane. (if you look at my wall--there are pictures of the Ecuadorian beach and friends from there, fuelling the excitement of the journey)
There is something about Ecuadorian Sunsets that amaze me. They are so stunning--and SO quick! If you see the sunset happening, you'd better have camera-in-hand, or you'll miss it!
This is Carolina. We call each other 'mamacita' which makes us laugh. Let me tell you about my sweet Carolina. YEARS ago when I had come to camp back when I was in high school, Caro was one of my campers at one of the kids camps I was working at. She and I clicked. She tried SO hard to make me feel a part of the team, and the cabin as well. We would hold hands on our top bunks at night until we fell asleep. It was a beautiful friendship that really stuck out to me for years as I remembered my times down in Ecuador.
Well, now, Carolina is one of the staff who pours her heart out into camp ministry. It is so cool being able to see someone who I saw as a little camper, now working her heart out at camp. I love camp.
'Futbol' at camp happens allllllll the time. The skill is incredible, and the games are so entertaining to watch. There is no grass at camp, since we're in the desert...on the beach...so this is what soccer (futbol) looks like at camp. Awesome.
There is always a cheering squad or onlookers watching games, regardless of whether it is just a pick up game, or a competitive team game to support the players in one way or another.
We brought down bracelete supplies as our craft for camp....and it was a smashing success. Braceletes were being made left right and center. I loved it. Guys, girls, kids, adults, everyone making braceletes for each other, and for camp mementos.
One day I spent a few moments on my own in a hammock in the shade, and took it all in. Shortly *only moments really* after this photo was taken, the girl in the distance came and joined me for a little visit in the hammocks. Her name is Dianita (little Diana), and she was in my cabin last year, so we chatted for a while, catching up on life and just enjoying one another's company.
Dianita in a hammock, with camp in the background.
This is our beach. It is beautiful! We were at camp over the Easter weekend, so on Friday morning, there were multiple beach venders trying to sell us goodies...sunglasses, hammocks, ice creams, you name it, it was there.
The boy sitting down, his name is Rolando. He's from an area of Ecuador called Onzole, up in the jungle. He was on my team at camp. He is such a sweet guy, I really enjoyed hanging out with him.
I love our camp doors. Hand-made beauty.
The boy in the blue, his name is Charlie, and he is an incredible individual. He is so welcoming, and so loving towards everyone around him. He learned a little bit of english in school up in Onzole, so he made sure he practiced his skills with the english-speakers. His joy was contagious...and so was his cheekiness.
This was my cabin. Cabana 10. I loved each and every one of my girls. Their names were (from left to right) Nelly, Katherine, Annie, top Rebecca, bottom Genesis, Me, Ginger, Emily, and Kenia (the cabin leader).
This is my special Kenia. We co-cabin led together...and what a team we are. I had met Kenia a few years back when Julia and I went on our little adventure down south, and I really enjoyed spending time with her. Well, this time around, we shared a cabin together and I absolutely loved it. I love her heart, the way she loves Jesus, the way she pours that love into her campers, and the way she enjoys life. Kenia has been married for 3 years, and is twenty years old! Crazy! Yet, so sweet. She has a heart unlike many people I know, and I feel so privileged to have been able to spend an entire week along side her--absorbing her 'awesomeness'.
Chilling in the hammocks, enjoying the shade under coconut trees.
Summer-lush flowers.
This is one of my amigos, Jerson. We enjoy teasing one another and joking around, and I enjoy him quite a bit. I took this picture for my grandma because, well...she is a Blue Jays fan, and Jerson was wearing a blue jays jersey. He has NO idea who the blue jays are....the shirt was a gift from a Canadian in the past...however he sports the jersey like a pro! I thought Grandma would appreciate the fact that her team is being supported down south as well!
My funny amiga. Denise. We like to laugh....a lot. She makes me smile.
I love the colours and the shadows in this picture. It was taken from our bus ride back to the city from camp.
Sister pic had to happen, since Jules and I were back in Ecuador together, yet again!
We had the privilege of staying in the homes of people in the Bastion Popular community . Annie and I were about a 15 minute walk from the Block 10 church community, up in block 9. This is the family we stayed with. Luis is one of the camp staff, but he came home for the weekend so that we could stay in his home with his family, before returning to camp for their final week of the season.
In the photo: Luis, Annie, Jack (nephew), Carmen, and me. (I look like a giant!)
The man who lives right across the street from the church, has roosters....for fighting. Their legs are bare and they look pretty tough...and he even made them fight while we were mingling around outside of the church.. Let me make the record straight...I am not a fan of cock-fights.
I don't know if I have ever told you about this man, Daniel. He's pretty awesome. Maybe one of my favourite parts about returning to Ecuador each time.
I had met him at camp back in 2006 when I went in high school. We became buddies. He calls me Funyta (little funny one, english spanish mix) and I call him Funyto in return.
It is always special returning to Ecuador to spend time with this guy. We're pretty much family. His family has adopted Julia and I. I call his mum 'Mami' and his sisters are all my sisters as well. I love his family. And I love being a part of it...even if my blonde hair stands out...our hearts are connected--just like family.
This is the view from the church porch in the block 10 community.
(where I stayed, was up on the hill, but to the left--you cant see it where I stayed, but it gives you an idea of where I was).
A shot taken out of the window in Bastion on our way to the airport.
I hope you enjoyed a little pin hole view into what I saw when I was in Ecuador. One of my many homes across the globe.
thanks for reading.
-a.

No comments:
Post a Comment