"I love you, a bushel and a peck, a bushel and a peck and a hug around the neck, a hug around the neck and a barrel and a heap, a barrel and a heap, and I'm talkin' in my sleep about you...about you"
Early this morning, in her sleep, my Grammie Betty passed away. The reality of this thought is rather hard to fathom. My heart is torn. There is a part of my heart which is relieved knowing that Grammie is no longer uncomfortable and suffering with the cancer which engulfed her organs over the past few months, but then, there is the part of my heart where I feel as if it came too quick, there was still so much I needed to learn from my pearl-wearing, blue-loving Grandmother.
Growing up, I for some reason had it in my mind that Grammie was the Queen. Yes, I understand that this is a rather odd thought. But I am serious when I say, I genuinely thought my grandmother was the Queen. Her stylish dress, perfect hair, nice jewelry, and table etiquette had me fooled! The fact that she also said tomato and potato like a british person didn't help my case. Grammie was the Queen. Now, I can't remember if it was when I actually saw the Queen in real life when she came to Halifax years ago (which was a traumatic story on its own as well!), or whether it was a time before that, but I did learn that Grammie was not royalty...and I still thought she was pretty cool nevertheless.
When we were young, Grammie would often sing us the bushel and a peck song, from the play Guys and Dolls. I had never known the song was from a play, all I knew was that it was Grammie's song for us, her grandchildren. When we would go down to Yarmouth to visit, we would take turns as kids sleeping in her big comfy bed. I have fond memories of slipping into the cozy Queen-like bed, piled high with pillows with the gentle hum of Grammies voice singing I love you, a bushel and a peck......and I'm talkin' in my sleep about you. (with Larry King's voice in the back ground--I never understood why Grammie enjoyed going to sleep with Larry King's face on her tv screen). I wish so much, that I were able to be sitting in her room last night, holding her hand, singing the same love-filled melody to her as she drifted off to sleep. I hope that Grammie felt the loved and content when she drifted from this world, that she felt our love pouring into her dreams, so that she was talking in her sleep about those she loved.
I will have fond memories of this wise woman. Memories of sitting in old cold church pews in the morning sunshine alongside Grammie and her 'fuzzy' mink coat. I will have fond memories of Grammie sneaking Jessie sips of soup off her soup spoon at the dinner table. Stories told about old dinner parities and balls in beautiful gowns. World adventures, a shared love for England. Stories of my grandfather and his love for the smell of salt sea air. Memories of going to sweet little sandwich shops (aka Subway) to get a special treat.
Grammie, you will be missed. I love you a bushel and a peck.
"cause I love you a bushel and a peck, You bet your pretty neck I do--Doodle oodle oodle, doodle oodle oodle, Doodle oodle oodle oo..."
-allison lee the bumble bee.
No comments:
Post a Comment