Monday, 14 January 2013

baseball

  I am someone who loves pictures. Whether it is a picture to look at, or to take a picture of something, or even to think in pictures--imagery--analogies--my mind is one that needs pictures to function.

  Well, over the past month and a bit, I would say life has decided to throw a few curve balls my direction. There has been a bit of a tidal wave of effects that has come crashing into my life and the lives of those around me and we are left looking at the demolition and wondering what the heck happened around us! Events in the lives of my friends, or school stress, family things, the passing of Jessie, a hectic semester ahead...things just seem to keep coming!

  In my mind I realized that really, I feel as if as of recent, I have been placed in a batting cage. Do you know what I mean when I say a batting cage? You know those things where people go into a 'cage' and have balls pitched at them by a machine at a steady, fast, hard pace so that they can practice their swings? Well, I feel as if I am currently in one of those cages, however, somehow I wasn't given a bat! The balls keep comin' yet I have no bat to hit them away!

(I know in the photo above I have a glove in hand, that would even be helpful at the moment, but I'm not sure I even have a glove in hand!)

  I am not saying all this to sound gloomy or depressed or make you feel sorry for me. I'm just saying it because it is what is on my mind at this point in time. Sometimes life throws curve balls at you. Sometimes you have a bat to keep the ball from hitting you, and sometimes, you just don't!

It is a new year. It is (almost) a new day. No matter what, tomorrow will come, and the world will continue to spin, and life will keep going. There will be a change in tide. Eventually I may get a glove, or a bat...and I will start hitting the balls away like nobody's business!

  But until then: I will latch onto these words from Matthew 5...

1-2 When Jesus saw his ministry drawing huge crowds, he climbed a hillside. Those who were apprenticed to him, the committed, climbed with him. Arriving at a quiet place, he sat down and taught his climbing companions. This is what he said:
“You’re blessed when you’re at the end of your rope. With less of you there is more of God and his rule.
“You’re blessed when you feel you’ve lost what is most dear to you. Only then can you be embraced by the One most dear to you.
“You’re blessed when you’re content with just who you are—no more, no less. That’s the moment you find yourselves proud owners of everything that can’t be bought.
“You’re blessed when you’ve worked up a good appetite for God. He’s food and drink in the best meal you’ll ever eat.
“You’re blessed when you care. At the moment of being ‘care-full,’ you find yourselves cared for.
“You’re blessed when you get your inside world—your mind and heart—put right. Then you can see God in the outside world.
“You’re blessed when you can show people how to cooperate instead of compete or fight. That’s when you discover who you really are, and your place in God’s family.
10 “You’re blessed when your commitment to God provokes persecution. The persecution drives you even deeper into God’s kingdom.
11-12 “Not only that—count yourselves blessed every time people put you down or throw you out or speak lies about you to discredit me. What it means is that the truth is too close for comfort and they are uncomfortable. You can be glad when that happens—give a cheer, even!—for though they don’t like it, I do! And all heaven applauds. And know that you are in good company. My prophets and witnesses have always gotten into this kind of trouble.

13 “Let me tell you why you are here. You’re here to be salt-seasoning that brings out the God-flavors of this earth. If you lose your saltiness, how will people taste godliness? You’ve lost your usefulness and will end up in the garbage.
14-16 “Here’s another way to put it: You’re here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We’re going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don’t think I’m going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I’m putting you on a light stand. Now that I’ve put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand—shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you’ll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven.

Swing batter batter batter swing!

1 comment:

  1. Hey alli... the photocopy of this passage (and your lovely thumb) is amidst the clutter on my bulletin board and has been since you gave it to me this summer. Thought you should know...those are powerful words.
    Praying for you while you're hitting those home runs, you are one very special gal and I love you!

    ReplyDelete