Wednesday, 7 July 2010

inspiration

Good morning. Take a deep breath, release, sigh. Yes. It is a good morning.
It is a beautiful sunny day here at Malagash. The sun is bright, the birds are singing, and the ocean is an incredible deep blue. I am sitting on the front deck of the camp Lodge in the sunshine and I am one happy little bee.

I've been up for a few hours, and I've been enjoying the peace and tranquility the early morning offers. I woke up before 6:30 this morning, (hoping for a lay-in--but the body clock woke up earlier). I saw the bright early sun shining in the loft window so I decided to put on my swimsuit and some shorts and go for an early morning beach run.

The sun wasn't yet over the trees and there was a hazy mist just lingering over the sandy shores. It felt like a dream. I was debating whether to go and collect Hamish (my trusty right hand---aka my camera) and just go for a beach walk with him instead...but I decided it would be too risky--waking up another fellow female staff member with our squeaky bedroom door and ruining the stillness. So I went for a run instead. It was fabulous. I had to make a zig-zaggy path to find the soft smooth sand for my not yet summer-feet, but it was beautiful. Running into the sun felt so refreshing and inspiring. There is a river down the beach from the camp which we happen to call the 'Jordan' and the tide was high so the water was up past my chest--but since it was so calm I just waded through the water, little minnows and crabs were enjoying their morning scurrying and just floating around in the slight currents. I loved it.

While continuing my run, I passed a little raft which had drifted to the shore (it may be an old crate off a ship, or a fishing thing of some sort) but it was a raft nonetheless and I thought that since the ocean was so calm, I could just sit on it and drift myself back to camp. In trying it, I realized it only really floats without weight on it. So my riding a raft will have to happen another time. After running back home *to camp...I swam about for a little bit. The water was seriously so still that even the smallest bubble or ripple in the water had a perfect shadow on the ocean floor. While I was swimming the little ripples of water were showing a mirror image of the beach behind me! I was amazed and in awe. Our world is so beautiful.

It got me thinking that I quite often loose my inspiration when I'm in the city. There are soooo many buildings and walls, and cement and pavement and sidewalks and cars and sounds (constant noises) everywhere which just completely block my mind from using any imagination of any sort! There are computers and videogames and televisions which take away from the real beauty of this world. I rarely feel like doing much of anything creative when I'm in the city! Here and now, in this beautiful place, where the only noises I hear in the dawn-lit hours are animals or birds singing, the ocean waves, sand blowing or the rustling of leaves in trees, I feel inspired. (yes once the other staff wake up there is normally music playing or doors opening and closing, or once the children get here voices everywhere), the stillness this morning has captured my heart.

I feel inspired. I feel refreshed. I feel awake and ready for the day.

People are starting to stir within the lodge--Family breakfast is at nine. I should go grab a few minutes in the word before the day 'begins'.
Beginners camp starts today, I'm in the kitchen as assistant cook (ah!) But I'm excited. Here we we go summer 2010. I'm ready for you.
This morning has blessed me. Taste and see that the Lord is good.
amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment