There's no place like home---there's no place like home---there's no place like home...
In all of my memories of this quote in the past, it has just seemed silly and irrelavent, but recently, since my travels abroad and returning home...this quote is now set apart and now close to my heart.
There honestly is no place like home.
In my travels, I am the sort of person who tends to make each place I stay a 'new home' in a way. I am not the type of person to just enter into a place and leave. I invest my heart and being into that place for however long I am there for. So, I have aquired many homes over the past years...homes away from home. But they are not home.
I have fallen inlove with places and people across the United Kingdom over the past few years, and I will always refer to them as my home in this region or that place. Such as my Tullecombe home, my Sunday home, my Isle of Wight home, my many hostel homes here and there, in Scotland and London. In each of those places I have my homes where I crave certain friendships and moments and memories which I wish I could return to. And one day I will, once again return to those homes and loved ones.
But for the time being, being home is wonderful. Being away these past few months, I have come to recognize how wonderful the people here in hali really are. I knew before how great people were. But being on my own for the past few months, living out of a backpack, only entering into other peoples communities and lives, I returned home to my community and the lives I have come to know and love...and it fits like an old familiar glove. I love it. I love home.
I know in the future I will continue to travel and go and see places and meet new people...but to the maritimes I will always return. Back to this seaside province, this artsy celtic home of ours. Where people look like garden gnomes come to life, and people wear old knitted sweaters from frenchies...or Josh Clark's closet. Or people play music where ever they go...where people go on hikes or to beaches randomly after the saturday morning market. Or people randomly call you up to go for a walk in the rain. There's just no place like home.
I know this has all been rather repetitive and just a blurr of thoughts...I just felt like sharing my rainy day Nova Scotian thoughts. No matter how far away I get, there will always be maple running through this heart.
from a canadian maple leaf who loves her home.
there's just no place like home.
No comments:
Post a Comment