Sunday, 18 October 2009

I happened on a good quote

Yesterday as I was exploring the beautiful Edinburgh I happened upon a beautiful little photography shop. It had photos and books and callendars and all sorts of photo-type things in the little shop.

I was peeking through a book called 'the Unguarded Moment' by Steve McCurry which is a beautiful book by the way! You should look up some of his pictures!

I was reading his first notes to the reader and a quote really stuck out to me...It starts off how Steve is often asked by people how do they become a good photographer...and this is what he said:


'When people ask me about how to become a photographer, I never give them advice about the camera its self. Instead I tell them this: leave home, Go as far away as you can. Become a stranger in a strange land. Aquire Humility'.


I really really enjoyed this quote. Maybe because I am travelling (no I am not TRYING to be as far away as I can be....BUT I am floating around, and I AM a stranger in a strange land...and recently I really have been encouraged and challanged by Humility. The words of Steve McCurry are brilliant and have challanged me these past few days.

become a stranger in a strange land. Aquire Humility.

the drifting feather called alli.
http://www.stevemccurry.com

2 comments:

  1. Wow. I just spent some time looking at his pictures and was blown away. Absolutely incredible. The world just gets more and more beautiful.
    And that is an awesome quote too.

    I was thinking about you today, Alli. I miss you. I hope you and Hamish are having a lovely time exploring the Isles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Alli, that is such a lovely quote. I loke it a lot.
    Are you still in Edinburgh? And did you find friends (again) already?
    Hope you have a beautiful time!!

    I love you
    - Caro

    ReplyDelete