Saturday, 25 October 2008

Hillsong + Rugby

Well, everyone...I have now been to my first rugby match ever! (as of last night). The match was actually a fundraiser for a mission within the Hillsong church here in London! Sports plus church is a pretty good combo I think!
It was a rather chilly night in the pitch, but I came prepared with 4 layers on my top...two pairs of wool socks, my ecuadorian blanket, and mittens. It was great. When we arrived at the stadium Debbie Phil and myself were a bit hungry...so Phil and I scoped out the food...which ended up being a GORMET meal! It was fabulous! We either had a choice between Hamburgers which were cooked in a huge wok about 2 feet wide all around...OR a delicious stirfry consisting of Noodles, Beansprouts, sausage bits, chicken, OSTRAGE (first time ever having that!), onions, potatoes, mushrooms, and a lot more goodies... so we decided to eat like royalty at a sports game, and got the stir fry. It smelt, looked, and tasted SOO good! And the huge wok it was cooked on was amazing! I should have gotten a picture of it!

Before the game began a piper went out and played the bag pipes for us, which was like a little taste of home...strangly. It was great, he was playing worship songs with the pipes...like Amazing grace. I have never heard anyone play that song on the bag pipes...but it actually sounded nice AND there is always a first for everything right?
After the piper left the stadium two people came out, dressed rather beautifully sang God Save the Queen, and then the game commenced!

Lets say, Rugby is a very interesting sport. I think if I get to see more games I will become a huge rugby fan! It is soo intense and so exciting! (when my team has the ball of course...and when I know people on the field) but it is great! I was SO excited in the second half of the game when Tim and Sam were on the field, because then I actually had someone to cheer for and man was it ever exciting...

Our team (Under 27's) lost...but it was a fun-first-game to see! I had good company sitting next to Debbie (who kept checking where her sons were whenever someone went down...and I had to reasure her it wasnt her boys) and one of Tim's old school friends Chas. It was great. I was taught the rules of the game, and I think I'll be able to follow the game now without wondering why people are falling down all over the field. I like rugby.

Here are a few shots of the action-packed game... and the Blue dolly-wheel in the first picture is the trophy the winning team got to have their name ingraved on. How classy huh?


Well, I am now able to check off going to a Rugby game off my dream list! SO my life is now complete. Kidding! But it was a great experience, fun...and I hope to see another game in the near future!

Have a wonderful autumn day
-alli


2 comments:

  1. "Sports plus church is a pretty good combo I think!"

    Well said, well said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh friend, i wanted to leave a message in the post above, but i could not. So, anyway i do not have any good advices, or words to make you feel better. But as you wrote, God's promises are true.

    Miss u friend.

    Funnyto

    ReplyDelete