Wednesday, 11 April 2012

My easter weekend

When I awoke on Easter morning, I had quite a start! Because Halifax was coated in a thick layer of snow! I couldn't believe that while we were sleeping, we were lavished with a blanket of thick white-ness.

It was a scene which I would expect to see on Christmas morning...not Easter. Nevertheless, we made do. The snow was gone by dinner time (England style, get a dumping of snow which will then disappear within the day)!
The snow didn't put a damper on our day though. Nate and I woke to the house hidden with eggs and after church we had our traditional easter-egg hunt! I think egg-hunts never get old. Think of it! Who doesn't like searching for little treats?

I thought I would share this photo of the egg perched on a little wall-decor we have near our front door. It is something someone gave us years ago which they found somewhere...however, the cool thing about it is that it is a spitting image of OUR home. So I like it.

On Easter Monday I hopped into the car and went on a road trip to the Southern Shore of Nova Scotia, to a place called Yarmouth. It had been a while since I had gone down to Yarmouth to visit my Grammie. She had called a few weeks ago and had asked for me to come and visit. At first I didn't know when I'd get the chance to do it, since I'm in exam time right now, and in a few weeks I have guests coming until I have to head off to camp for the summer...so planning a visit to Grammie Betty was a wee bit difficult. BUT I called her last minute on the weekend to see if spending a night with her on Monday was doable, and it was!! So I made it happen!

Driving down to the South shore is beautiful! I went a scenic route on my way down, and oh was it breath-taking. The colour of the ocean, the little fishing villages, the clouds. Oh it was amazing. I stopped for tea at a little cafe in Digby, and it was really sweet. It is close to a light house off the main road, just a little cafe in a barn, and it was just a cool little experience. I found this boot in the water, and thought it needed to be photographed.
It was really nice to see Grammie, and to have some one on one time with her. I realized I had never had just me and Grammie time before in my life! So it was nice to visit with her, and hear her stories. I really love the picture above, because as we were sitting, getting out picture taken by a friend, she put her hand on my knee...which I thought was rather endearing, until she said, 'I'll just put my hands on here dear, to cover the hole in your jeans'. HA! I laughed SO hard as you can see, my face is caught mid-giggle, but it was a great little moment.

It was another one of my whirl-wind trips, but it was so nice to be able to do it. I don't know when I'll be back in Yarmouth in the 'near' future, but being able to see Grammie was special. I know she really appreciated having me around, and I am happy about that.

She was doing a puzzle in the paper the other night and found a rather clever quote so I will share it with you all.

'never invest in any idea which you can't illustrate with a crayon'

1 comment:

  1. HAHA What a great post, Alli. Grammie covering the hole in your jeans is pays back for you rubbing her fuzzies all those years ago. :)

    Love you

    ReplyDelete