It was a beautiful wintery day, I had taken Hamish to school with me so that I could scoot over to Point Pleasant Park between class and a Monday Spanish session with my oh so helpful Colombian friend. As I arrived to the park, the sun which had been shining so beautifully all day long decided to hide behind the large wintery clouds. The absence of the sun made me almost turn around on the spot and go back to my car and drive to a coffee shop two hours early. But something stopped me, and I kept walking.
I am not the most talented at shooting photos when there is not a lot of light, and with the sun hiding out, with the huge clouds looming over me, I wasn't in the mood to really take any shots. I had been hoping for sun. And I got clouds. Grey huge clouds. But as I kept walking along, I made myself start looking at the things which people wouldn't normally look at or notice for unattractive beauty (yes I know what I just said...contradicting myself, but let me explain).
As I walked, I would look at the bare branches on old salt-worn trees, or a battered up old uneven bench, hidden stone steps in a little hill, an old man chatting with squirrels, a bumpy pine tree.. things which would not normally stand out as attractive significant things according to society's standards. However I began to thoroughly enjoy these things, and savour their gentle beauty.
As I was walking back to my car, with a new pair of eyes, I saw this anchor. Normally in my mind, when I think of anchors I think of beautiful Malagash where the background is always an incredible ocean-view with sunsets and sunrises, blues and greys which are continually changing for the better. But then, in contrast, there was this anchor. A beautiful Blue, sitting next to the ocean. From one view point, there would sea surrounding the anchor, creating a mystical beautiful scene. Then, on the other hand there is what you see above. A factory, darkness, pollution. For some reason, at this moment, I liked the idea of this contrast much better. It is a cynical photo. It IS dark, it is different. I like it.
As I was walking back to my car, with a new pair of eyes, I saw this anchor. Normally in my mind, when I think of anchors I think of beautiful Malagash where the background is always an incredible ocean-view with sunsets and sunrises, blues and greys which are continually changing for the better. But then, in contrast, there was this anchor. A beautiful Blue, sitting next to the ocean. From one view point, there would sea surrounding the anchor, creating a mystical beautiful scene. Then, on the other hand there is what you see above. A factory, darkness, pollution. For some reason, at this moment, I liked the idea of this contrast much better. It is a cynical photo. It IS dark, it is different. I like it.
This beautiful blue anchor, is firmly anchored to a rock, watching the factory pollute. But it is steadfast and unmoving.
It is the perfect picture of life. No matter what is happening around us, whether it is beauty and simplicity, joy or inspiration, or a pollution filled-mindset, where the outlook isn't bright, where there is smoke fogging the view of beauty and happiness, whether things look dreary or glum...if we are firmly anchored to a firm foundation, the outlook may change but having the firm attachment to the Rock will make all the difference.
It is the perfect picture of life. No matter what is happening around us, whether it is beauty and simplicity, joy or inspiration, or a pollution filled-mindset, where the outlook isn't bright, where there is smoke fogging the view of beauty and happiness, whether things look dreary or glum...if we are firmly anchored to a firm foundation, the outlook may change but having the firm attachment to the Rock will make all the difference.
Sometimes we need to experience beauty AND unpleasantness, disagreeable situations to honestly appreciate the good. We get caught up in the mundane if we do not experience repugnance in our lives.
a.
the shadow proves the sunshine...
ReplyDelete