Tuesday, 5 May 2009

clouds and many thoughts

Today is a cloudy day here in Halifax. The clouds have moved into the city after the sun so beautifully welcomed us into this day. It has been so beautiful lately, the sun has decided to bring us a little taste of summer earlier than normal and so far everyone I have come across with have loved and appreciated its beautiful gift with open arms...and sun burnt faces. Which is actually quite refreshing after a long winter.

At this very moment I am bundled up in a blanket, sipping on a hot cup of Chai Tea listening to relaxing music and just waiting for the little boy I look after a few days throughout the week Isaac, to wake up from his afternoon nap.

This afternoon we went for a nice walk along the Northwest Arm and now he's a little tuckered from the adventure. So is his horse-sized dog Guiness. I seem to have a fast walking pace which knocks them both out in the afternoons which is fine with me. I get in a good walk and they both get to nap...and I get to have a cup of tea and watch the clouds.

Recently I have realized that when I have Hamish in hand (my camera) I take beautiful things for granted. I photograph it and then in a way set it aside and don't really think much about it until I feel the picture could be used for something. Do you do that? Well, a few weeks ago I had a camera scare. Hamish had to go into the shops for multiple reasons and so I had to live without a camera by my side as the buds began popping on the trees...as flowers were blooming for the first time of the year, for the long-lasting 'summer' sunsets...I was Hamish-less.



I had to start really taking pictures with my memory and absorbing every last bit of the things I found beautiful with my OWN eyes. It was so hard not to just crave Hamish and want him to collect these beautiful masterpieces of nature...but I think this was Gods way of giving me little eye-gifts for me to look at in awe.

I have been going for quite a few walks recently due to my current jobs...housesitting and nannying so I've been able to explore and look at new parts of the city I haven't seen before. And without Hamish I have had to really explore in my own imagination... its funny though. When you have something you really don't appreciate it as much as you should--until its gone. Its true! I would always say, nah I know what I have and I know how much I love it...but really friends, we don't! And thats something I think God has been teaching me over these past few weeks as well.

Things I saw for the first time with fresh eyes on my wanderings around halifax.
*birds basking in the sunshine--open wings just absorbing the heat and the warmth which life has blessed them with

*buds just aching to burst into life ready to fill a tree full of green-full-bright-new leaves.

*children playing with chalk...writing messages to eachother in huge letters--I LOVE YOU

*golden rays of sunlight dancing across the Arm (the sea) at sunset

*a whole garden bursting with daffodils---reminding me of the English countryside

*golden railway-ties with a person and his dog walking on the golden rails.

*clouds---smoke--rain---sun----

I now have Hamish back. But i hope that I don't forget what it was like to really absorb the real-beautiful things around me. I hope I am not going to be so quick to whip out my camera and photograph everything...before I have the chance to really appreciate the beauty for myself.

I hope that you, my friends, when you see something beautiful in the next few days--weeks--months to come...that you stop breathe in the beauty and appreciate it for what it is. A gift specially for you to love and appreciate from a God who loves you and delights in your happiness.

my cup of tea is almost finished and I think Isaac is stirring. Peace and love to you all beyond the big blue sea.

1 comment:

  1. i hear you on the camera thing, ally! sometimes i almost have to force myself not to put the camera to my eye, but just to appreciate the moment for what it is. something about the moment changes when you start analyzing it through a creative grid of angles, light, framing, etc. maybe all of our moments don't have to be "framed." after all, a photo image can't capture the ever-shifting movement of the clouds in the same way our own two eyes can. and even the most carefully framed cozy photo of that mug in your hands, can't capture the smell of the chai, or it's spicy taste on your tongue. makes you ponder how intentional the design of human life is... eyes, ears, nose, mouth, and fingertips... all made to naturally appreciate these moments... without the unnecessary (although fun!) aid of manmade gidgets and gadgets. thanks for sharing your insights. love you and miss you, girl!

    ReplyDelete