Wednesday, 14 January 2015

Joining in my journey


Learning to make Matoke
I often have to pinch myself to see if the life I am blessed to be living is real life. I am once again returning to a distant land, one that has captivated mine and many other hearts in the heart of Africa, a country known as the Pearl, Uganda. Words simply cannot sum up what I feel about this place, and the people I have come to know and love; I certainly feel as if this beautiful country, rich with culture and beauty lives up to its name. It is a hidden treasure, lush, and flourishing agriculture as well as rich in community.

This venture is not simply a routine ‘mission trip’ for me. Yes, I will be assisting in leading a community trip in doing hands-on volunteer work in the community in April; however this year I have the privilege to say I am stepping out beyond the ordinary, I am challenging myself, and taking on a new role in missions. I will be living in the village for three months, taking on the role of an intern in social work in the Tabrio community. I will spend time working and learning under the guidance of a woman named Faith, who is a social worker in the village. 
Liz my little friend from across the lane

My life has been slowly shaping me to take on this role. Having studied psychology for the past five years, and waiting for acceptance in a masters of counseling and spirituality program for the coming fall I am very excited for this new opportunity. It will be an opportunity of a lifetime.

Uganda Venture is a small Halifax-based organization that has been actively involved in Uganda, specifically the Tabiro community since 2006 through their partnership with Dominic and Ruth Ssenyonga (click for more of the story). Uganda Venture has been involved in annual community trips to the village for nearly a decade, bridging the gap between the East coast of Nova Scotia and the heart of Africa. Over the years a number of initiatives have sprouted out of the UV connection; establishing and support of a women’s cooperative program, a micro-credit loan program, working with the Infectious Diseases Institute of Uganda to help facilitate HIV/AIDS testing, development in infrastructure schools and orphanages in the Mpigi district, as well as working to improve the education provided to the students in the region. I was so blessed to be involved in a few of these initiatives in the community last spring, and I look forward to seeing more of the community developments in the three months I will spend in the community.
Visiting a local community

  In order to help cover the trip costs and make this opportunity a reality, the support of my family, friends and greater community is essential. To participate, I need to raise $6,000 by March 31,2015. If you would consider supporting me in this journey that would be greatly appreciated! The funds go through the Navigators of Canada, which is a registered non-profit organization.  Which can be accessed through www.ugandaventure.com/donate (re: Allison Churchill). All gifts are receipted for income tax purposes. Thank you for your consideration. If giving in this way is not possible, I would appreciate your thoughts and prayers and words of wisdom, while I embark on this adventure. If you have any questions email me at allichurchill@gmail.com

One of my dearest friends in Tabiro, Mary (and her little brother)
  I look forward to sharing my experience, photos stories and love for this community with you upon my return!
Wabale Nyo! (Luganda for thank you so much!)
-alli







No comments:

Post a Comment