Tuesday, 16 September 2014

An Ol' Gal.

allileephotography
     Today I started a new job.

     From today onward I get to spend my Tuesday afternoons in the company of an elderly neighbour. A few weeks ago, she asked me if I was willing to spend a few hours each week in her company, helping her run errands, or do a few little things around the house she hasn't got the energy to accomplish anymore...and to simply have a friend to share time with on a regular basis!

   To be honest with you, I don't really know if I truly want to refer to it as a job. I say this because in a way, I believe it is more a privilege than anything else to be able to spend my Tuesday afternoons in the company of this ol' gal.

   I think we were both a wee bit nervous about the new relationship. I have known her my entire life, having grown up only a number of meters from her house...however there is something very different about shouting greetings across a fence and spending hours together in close company on a weekly basis, and all that might entail. I think we were both hoping that we would get along, that there wouldn't be awkward silences if we ran out of topics to chat about... and that our personalities were compatible and to be honest...that we would genuinely like one another once we started spending time together.

  I arrived and my ol' gal got out her shopping list, and off we went to do some errands. I quickly began to relax and enjoy just chatting with her. My own insecurities began to fade, and I sensed hers did as well...which was sweetly comforting. I really enjoy her sense of humour and her outlook on life, I truly look forward to getting to know her on a deeper level!

  I liked puttering around the grocery with her. We were in no real rush, and quite frankly even if we were in a rush, I feel as if we wouldn't move anywhere all that quick anyhow. Re-joining the slow club is always refreshing to me. Slowing down, taking a breath, and enjoying the scenery...life in the moment. I just liked being with her.

  Something struck me the wrong way though, while we were finishing up our errands.. I began to notice that as people put two and two together, that I was with her, they began to only talk to me! Even though it was obvious that it was my ol' gal's shopping list, and she was paying for the groceries and other items...they would talk to me.  I was even asked questions regarding my ol' gal with her standing right there, but they weren't acknowledging her!  It made me mad! She was right there, and is quite capable of doing everything herself, her mind is completely active and fit, her body just gets tired so she thought it would be nice to have a companion to do the extra lifting for her....and they were asking ME questions about her. It also made me sad. It made me wonder how often that happens...that my ol' gal is quickly looked over because of her age and frail appearance.. it made me wonder how often in my mind I have overlooked people, or possibly treated them in a way they in no way deserve..

  It made me think. I want to soak up this time with my ol' gal. I want to learn from her...laugh with her, and share life with her. I want her to feel respected by me and the way I talk with her, and serve her..I want her to feel honoured and not tread upon. I want her to feel loved.

   As I was leaving today, I told her I really enjoyed my time with her, and she seemed shocked. She said 'really? you enjoyed following an old bird around?'--and I told her oh most definitely I enjoyed it. And I would look forward to my next afternoon spent in her company. And I truly meant it!

  I hope that in the time spent with my ol' gal, that I will learn life lessons and gain wisdom...and in the process of doing that--that I will lavish her in love and we will become genuine companions and dear friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment