Good evening! I thought that it was about time to catch all of you up on my jaunt across the sea a few weeks back... As some of you have probably gathered, I had the opportunity to hop across the sea during my spring break to visit some of my special English friends for a week. Let me tell you that my journey seemed much longer than a simple ten days away. Every day was absolutely jam-packed with goodness and wonderful people, sweet conversations and good ol' english cups of tea and even moments of wandering through the countryside being chased by piglets...like the one in the photo above. (While I was away I have to say that I was taught how to make a 'proper pot of english tea' and I am quite proud of my 'new found abilities'! Up until a few weeks back, I was so unaware of the secret steps to creating a perfect pot of tea, now I will never be able to do it any differently)
My journey began on the quaint white chalky shores of my favourite British Isle, the Isle of Wight. Even as I wrote its name just now, I breathed in a sigh of complete contentment. I do not know if I am able to express in words how much I love that place. There is something about it, which I cannot put my finger on...but it is utterly amazing. I feel completely at home when I am there. Maybe it is the wonderful friends and their comfortable home which makes it so easy for me to return to, or the fresh rolling southern hills, the fact that if I were to stand on top of any hill on the isle I could see the sea...who knows...I just love it.
My journey began on the quaint white chalky shores of my favourite British Isle, the Isle of Wight. Even as I wrote its name just now, I breathed in a sigh of complete contentment. I do not know if I am able to express in words how much I love that place. There is something about it, which I cannot put my finger on...but it is utterly amazing. I feel completely at home when I am there. Maybe it is the wonderful friends and their comfortable home which makes it so easy for me to return to, or the fresh rolling southern hills, the fact that if I were to stand on top of any hill on the isle I could see the sea...who knows...I just love it. this is the place that I day dream about throughout the year, whenever I feel as if I need a little break, a week away to rejuvenate myself, a time to breathe...this is the place where I dream of being. And after being away for two whole years, I was able to return. It was as good as I had dreamed it would be.
Another thing that I loved about being back in the familiar English countryside is the fact that nothing has changed. Driving through the old country lanes, dodging particular pot holes, passing by asparagus fields...everything is still the same. It makes me feel like it hasn't been that long since I was 'home' last. It is easy to slip back into life and just be able to 'BE'.After spending a few days on the isle, I hopped on a train and traveled back up to Petersfield/Rogate to visit with my church friends, old mates, and my kiddies. As I spent time with each person, I loved the fact that it felt as if no time had passed since we had last seen each other. Conversations flowed, being in one another's presence was comfortable and normal. That is one thing that I love about real honest to goodness friendships, no matter how much time passes, one can pick it back up at any point and continue on sharing life with one another, without there being any evidence of time spent apart!
One of the main reasons why I returned to England was because of a dear old friend of mine from the Rogate church. She and I have a special relationship which I find hard to describe to people other than we just love one another like crazy. We met at church four years ago in the village, and some how we made it a weekly tradition to share the peace with one another with kisses and giant hugs, and after the service we would often share a cup of tea with another lady from the church and we would sit and chat. When I returned to the UK back in '09, we had intended on going out for a lunch at the pub together but we didn't end up getting the chance due to my shortened trip. This broke the heart of my dear friend, so I promised her a lunch at the pub the next time I returned. I may have failed to mention that my friend is in her mid eighties, so this minor detail weighed on my mind quite heavily, and I had promised myself that if ever she were to get ill, I would go and visit her; because I know how much it meant to her. So this visit was for my lovely friend. Just over a month ago, I received an email from another friend within the community saying that my friend was not in good shape and she was very concerned for her. My heart dropped, and I knew I had to go see her. That night I booked my flight to England, and I suppose the rest is history. After photographing these little crocuses I went to a beautiful lunch at the pub with Lucy. It was perfect. We had a table reserved for us (even though we were two of the only people in the pub pretty much the whole time we were there) and we shared life stories with one another, and laughed, and shared tears (well Lucy teared up) and we had such a good time together. Sitting there, in the pub, looking at my dear old friend, I knew without a shadow of a doubt that my visit was worth it. Traveling the world for that one meal with Lucy was absolutely worth it. It meant the world to her, and I crossed the world for her. As her heart continues to fail her, I know that the littlest things I can do for her, by sending her photos and letters in the post, help keep a smile on her face. She is a special one, for sure. And I am so thankful for my visit.
Of course my adventures across the sea had to include a visit to my old stomping grounds...Tullecombe. Looking out over the valley still took my breath away. I do have to say, as my friend Mike drove me up the hill to my old home, I had butterflies in my stomach. I had invested so much of my heart and soul into this family, and it had been so long since I had seen my little C&O that I was afraid they wouldn't remember me...or that I had so many expectations which wouldn't come true. But as we opened the gate and drove on in, I knew that even there, in the constantly changing home of Tullecombe, there was still so much that was the same. My kiddies are still the same, and my love for them has not changed at all.
Of course my adventures across the sea had to include a visit to my old stomping grounds...Tullecombe. Looking out over the valley still took my breath away. I do have to say, as my friend Mike drove me up the hill to my old home, I had butterflies in my stomach. I had invested so much of my heart and soul into this family, and it had been so long since I had seen my little C&O that I was afraid they wouldn't remember me...or that I had so many expectations which wouldn't come true. But as we opened the gate and drove on in, I knew that even there, in the constantly changing home of Tullecombe, there was still so much that was the same. My kiddies are still the same, and my love for them has not changed at all. I was able to talk and laugh with the kids. They are sooo grown up now, with teeth missing from their beautiful faces, and mouths that never stop chattering. I could listen to their stories for days! They have so much to say! I loved hearing stories about what they have been up to, and what they love to do with their time. We were out in the forest building forts (which is something I dreamed about doing years ago with them when they were small), and we laughed so much while playing on the trampoline. Toff made me constantly giggle while he would tell me about his schemes he was planning against Livs. And I loved being able to look at miss Livs and know what she was thinking without having to say anything. Oh man. Do I ever love those two.
I crashed on a matt on Livs floor, and it was so sweet (even though the sun wasn't even up) to have two little ones jump into bed with me in the morning, because they were so excited to see me. Even thinking about it now my heart is exploding. One day with them didn't seem like enough time at all, however I am so thankful for the time which I was able to spend with them.
I crashed on a matt on Livs floor, and it was so sweet (even though the sun wasn't even up) to have two little ones jump into bed with me in the morning, because they were so excited to see me. Even thinking about it now my heart is exploding. One day with them didn't seem like enough time at all, however I am so thankful for the time which I was able to spend with them.
Each night was spent with someone different (after I hit the mainland) and each day was a blessing on its own. I am still processing the conversations and stories I heard from my friends, and for that I am glad. It wasn't JUST a short trip to England. I lived life, and shared in the burdens and blessings of those I met. Time seemed to move slower than normal, and I think it happened on purpose, so that I was able to get everything I possibly could out of each moment spent with those who I love.
I know I left so much out of this blog post. But this is what I felt like writing tonight. I just feel lavished in blessings, even though I am still jet-lagged and slightly stressed about keeping up with my studies, moments like those, which I spend with my brits, was perfect in every way.
...only a few more days until I hop on another plane and head down south...three continents in 3 weeks...but that is a story for another time.
much love, from a contented little feather.
a.
No comments:
Post a Comment